ENGL 101 Section 6

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ENGL 101 Section 6

Forum for students in ENGL 101 Section 6, Spring 2012, Washington State University

4 posters

Sam Watanabe's Assignment 4

sam.watanabe

Sam Watanabe's Assignment 4 Empty Sam Watanabe's Assignment 4

Post  sam.watanabe Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:04 pm

A hot button issue in today’s American society is standardized testing. Standardized testing is a test given to students to test what they have learned, thus, giving teachers and government officials a better understanding what needs to be done and what is being done. This is what standardized testing is supposed to do in a perfect world. But, of course, we don’t live in a perfect world. Standardized testing does not work and the article by Alfie Kohn right about how standardized testing should not be used anymore.
    Kohn makes many arguments about how standardized testing is not good. One is that standardized testing is not even testing what it should.
    What generally passes for a test of reading comprehension is a series of separate questions about short passages on random topics. These questions rarely examine how students interrelate parts of the text and do not require justifications that support the interpretations”; indeed, the whole point is the “quick finding of answers rather than reflective interpretation.” (Kohn 5)
    It looks like to me that Kohn is saying that really the test is just there to give quick results and not accurate results. Reading comprehension should test what kids are reading and how they get what they just read. It shouldn’t be a quick way to get a grade for a student to determine pass or fail.
    Kohn also talks about multiple choice is a terrible way to test a student because it doesn’t really test anything.
    “I don’t think there’s any way to build a multiple-choie question that allows students to show what they can do with what they know,” says Roger Farr, professor of education at Indiana University—a statement all the more remarkable given that Farr personally helped to write a number of standardized tests. The reason should be obvious. Students are unable to generate a response; all they can do is recognize on by picking it out of four or five answers provided by someone else. (Cool
    I also find it interesting that a standardized test maker is even critizing standardized testing.
    Kohn is not the only one who thinks standardized testing is bad. Laura-Lee Kearns also thinks it is a bad thing.
    The majority of youth I interviewed were surprised and even shocked to find out that they were not up to the government standard of literact. Tammy, a first timer test-taker stated: I was excited to see what I would get and I was shocked because I thought I was going to be happy…have a smile on my face, but I was kind of disappointed…I just don’t understand how I failed. (Kearns 118)
    When someone takes a test, they should be able to get a general idea of how well they did because it test on what they know. If a student gets something that they don’t think they got, it means there was a game in the test were it wasn’t test what it was intended to test. Again, standardized testing is not testing what it is supposed to test.
    Laura-Lee Kearns also said that standardized testing makes students feel embarrassed or humiliated. (119) Learning is supposed raise self-esteem, not lower it.
    Other youth found the whole experience of failing demeaning. Bob said he did not perceive school any differently after failing the test, but found the test “was kind of degrading. It makes me feel a little less smart, knowing that I failed.” (119)
    This shouldn’t happen.
    David Hursh also think that standardized testing is not a good thing. Hursh think that testing is inaccurate. “At Rochester’s Wilson Magnet High School, a school ranked forty-ninth in the nation by Newsweek, all 300 students who took the examination failed” (Hursh 612) How do you explain this? If Newsweek, a credible magazine, ranked a school 49th, you would think that everybody would pass with flying colors right? This just goes to show how inaccurate standardized testing is.
    Standardized testing is bad and I am not the only one to think this. Countless studies have been done to show that standardized testing is not accomplishing what it is setup to do. Alfie Kohn, Laura-Lee Kearns and David Hursh all agree, standardized testing should be eliminated. These people are all educated individuals and should be listened to.

Questions
    1. My essay is really short, how can I make it longer?
    2. How is my thesis sentence and how can I make it better?
    3. My conclusion is a little weak, do you have any suggestions?

christina.crow

Sam Watanabe's Assignment 4 Empty Re: Sam Watanabe's Assignment 4

Post  christina.crow Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:41 pm

1.My essay is really short, how can I make it longer?
    You could try presenting the other argument and then say how it is wrong. Like, say “supports believe….” And then say “this absolutely ridiculous because….” (well, not exactly like that).
    Also, you could mention how money is in play and how it is just a huge money maker for companies. Or go more in-depth about how it does not measure job readiness and should not be used for graduation..

2.How is my thesis sentence and how can I make it better?
    I’m assuming this is the thesis… “Standardized testing does not work and the article by Alfie Kohn right about how standardized testing should not be used anymore.”
    But I would mention all the people you quote, not just Kohn. And have a “list” of all the things you wanna mention. Like, Kohn, so and so, and so and so, all agree that standardized testing…… (list of reasons why its bad)… and should be eliminated from the education system.

3.My conclusion is a little weak, do you have any suggestions?
    You probably should not use “I” in the sentence. Could say something along the lines of “Alfie Kohn, Laura-Lee Kearns and David Hursh all agree, standardized testing should be eliminated. These people are all educated individuals and should be listened to. The main reason standardized testing is used today is to measure student’s progress and track how our education system is doing. But, standardized testing does not give an accurate report of student’s education or how our schools are doing. Because the results are inaccurate, there is no longer any point in having standardized testing. Countless studies have been done to show that standardized testing is not accomplishing what it is setup to do.”

Three things did well:
    1. Your argument was very clear
    2. You never went off topic
    3. Everything you said made sense, nothing was confusing

Three things could improve on:
    1. Could give more details about your topics
    2. Incorporate more quotes, especially from outside sources
    3. Could give your opinion more, like describing the quotes more or just stating your opinion. Idk, it was pretty good though.

Questions
    What do supports think about the topic and why, if these tests are so bad, are they still being used in our education system?
    manvir.singh

Post  manvir.singh Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:53 pm

1. You can add block quotes into your essay
    2. Thesis sentence can use a little revising. Explain exactly what it is you're putting in your body paragraphs.
    3. Use the article authors and incorporate their thinking as well as yours.

Three things done well:
    1. Argument is good, clear, and concise
    2. Explanations were fantastic
    3. Organization is well outlined

Three things to improve on:
    1. More detail into the thesis
    2. Use more quotes
    3. Incorporate your opinion with the article authors.

My question for you:
    What is the main reason that the test is bad? There are many, but which one hits you the most?
    jasmine blackwell

Sam Watanabe's Assignment 4 Empty Jasmine Blackwell

Post  jasmine blackwell Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Include more block quotes to help lengthen your essay
    You can improve your thesis by cutting it down and only including the topics VITAL to your essay that you know you will cover
    Once you have your final intro and thesis and a full body , I would then go back to create your conclusion as you will know what your essay will include

-you clearly stated your argument
    -your organization was pretty well put together
    -your flow was good, i figure once you have the rest of your body, you will be able to contribute to the rest of your argument and make it stronger

-add more block quotes
    -add an opposing opinion and open your essay up in favor of your argument in order to include a rebuttal
    -use personal anecdotes to strengthen up your argument

Why do you think this form of testing is so bad? Although that question may be simple, by including an answer to that your audience can take away from this reading your clear reasoning for making the argument that you made

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 3:18 pm