ENGL 101 Section 6

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ENGL 101 Section 6

Forum for students in ENGL 101 Section 6, Spring 2012, Washington State University

2 posters

Firearm control and school shootings-katherine jensen

katherine.jensen

Firearm control and school shootings-katherine jensen Empty Firearm control and school shootings-katherine jensen

Post  katherine.jensen Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:54 pm

Recently, in Bremerton, Washington a nine-year-old elementary student brought a gun to school on February 22nd and shoot a classmate. After hearing this story questions automatically come to your mind, how did this kid get a gun?, who let the child have a gun?, and why would a nine year old shoot someone? School shootings happen way too frequently in our country, I would like to explore multiple cases on school shootings and the laws for firearm control.
    AreeMetz
    AreeMetz
    Admin

Firearm control and school shootings-katherine jensen Empty Re: Firearm control and school shootings-katherine jensen

Post  AreeMetz Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:59 am

Hi Katherine! I think this is a cool idea. I just read about the shooting this morning on the plane--shocking. In the case I read it was an accidental shooting, but the questions you ask still apply; how did this kid get a gun? what could have been done to prevent this from happening?

I think a way to make your topic more argumentative would be to advocate for changes to gun control laws in Washington (or the U.S., depending on how far you want to take this). Does the law have loopholes or gaps that allowed this incident to happen? What could we do to change the laws to prevent events like this from happening again? Does that sound good? I would start by researching this incident and others like it and also researching what gun control laws are already in existence.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:07 am